Casey Anthony ordered to pay nearly $100,000 in costs
Reuters US Online Report Domestic News
Sep 15, 2011 14:33 EDT
ORLANDO, Fla (Reuters) – Casey Anthony, the young Florida mother acquitted of killing her daughter, was ordered on Thursday to pay almost $100,000 to cover expenses incurred after she falsely claimed 2-year-old Caylee had been kidnapped.
Judge Belvin Perry ruled that Anthony must reimburse $97,676.98 in investigative costs incurred between July 15, 2008, when Anthony first told detectives that her daughter had been kidnapped by a nanny, and September 29, 2008, when detectives determined Caylee likely was dead rather than missing.
Anthony was charged with Caylee’s murder and four counts of lying to investigators. In a nationally televised trial this summer, Anthony was acquitted of the murder but found guilty of the lies.
Prosecutors sought $517,000, the cost several police agencies and the prosecutor’s office said was incurred as a result of her lies.
(Reporting by Barbara Liston; Editing by Colleen Jenkins and Greg McCune)
Source: Reuters US Online Report Domestic News